Reema wanted a remedy for boredom which most of us need when
- We are in a lecture and bored to death by the yawn generators whom we call professors.
- we are waiting for a deliverable to be completed and sent so that the team can leave the office by the 3 a.m. cab.
- we are travelling from Chennai to Delhi by a train for the first and the last time. Last time, because you have realised that you don’t have the kind of a patience which is required to endure such lasting-forever rythemic movements of your body. You realise that a flight would be better.
- you want to show off and make somebody understand that you know many four letter words. Err..don’t take that wrong. You will know in a moment.
The remedy is a very interesting game called COWS AND BULLS. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is the name of the game. Well, the rules are very simple.
- You must know English, which you must be knowing if you are reading this.
- You must have at least an iota of reasoning skills.
- Your IQ should be better than any news reporter on Aaj Tak.
The game can be played between two people or two groups. One of the group have to think of a four letter word and the other group is supposed to guess the word. You can only have 10 guesses. Fairly simple!!! I should better give an example. Suppose Team A thinks of a four letter word – KIND. They then ask Team B to start the game.
_ _ _ _ (this is what Team B has right now)
Team B start the game by telling their first guess. Let it be – PAIN.
Now, KIND and PAIN are two entirely different words as we can all see. Out of the four alphabets in KIND, PAIN has only two alphabets – I and N. Both these alphabets are in the wrong positions. In KIND, I is at the second position while in PAIN, its in the third position. Similarly, N is in the 3rd position in KIND and 4th position in PAIN. This means 2 COWS(Team A have to tell this to Team B without revealing which two alphabets they are talking about). Cows refer to the alphabets which are there, but not at the right position.
P A I N ( This is team B’s first guess. 2 COWS)
Team B now thinks of creating a new word which should have two of the alphabets from PAIN. Suppose they come up with NILE. Now in this word I is at the correct position while N again is at the wrong position. So, Team A would say – 1 BULL and 1 COW (BULL refer to the alphabets in the right position)
N I L E ( 1 Bull, 1 cow)
Now Team B know that they have one alphabet in the right position and one in the wrong position. Team B has to keep on analysing the guesses thay have made earlier so that they can make a better guess next time. Suppose this time they come up with PINE. Now this has 2 BULLS, as I and N are in the correct position.
P I N E
Matching PINE and NILE, Team B can conclude that from I, N or E, two are at the correct place. Now they have to confirm which are the two bulls. They tell their next word – PINT. Team A tell them that they have 2 Bulls again and this confirms that I and N are at their correct place.
P I N T
Team B now have to think of a word which have I and N at the same place as in PINT. They come up with FIND. Team A tell them that they have 3 Bulls now.
F I N D
Now the 3rd Bull can be either F or D. To confirm Team B give the next word, which is FINS. Which lands them with 2 Bulls again and confirms that the 3rd Bull is D.
F I N S
Team B now comes up with the word KIND which has all the 3 Bulls in the correct position. And Bingo!!!! They get 4 BULLS.
K I N D
This is the end of the game and Team B wins as they were able to guess the word in less than 10 chances. This was a very simplified example but the game can get a lot more complicated with the team making a lot more wrong guesses. Also, if you give certain words which have a single alphabet occurring multiple times( For e.g. LULL), then such words are hard to guess.
So, that’s it folks. This is the game. Enjoy!!!!!!
p.s. For any queries and clarifications, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment. 😀